Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Walk Upon The Water - About The Songs, Will You Still Be Mine Tonight, #4 - The Lyrics, Part Two



Walk Upon The Water - About The Songs


Will You Still Be Mine Tonight

#4 - The Lyrics, Part Two


As Patty Smyth and Don Henley once sang, “sometimes love just ain’t enough.”


Sometimes, nothing is enough.  Sometimes, as I have learned throughout the years, some things just are, and you will drive yourself crazy looking for a reason, an explanation.


Though eventually my previous marriage came to an end, at the time I wrote the lyrics for this song, my heart cried out for something real and permanent.  At the end of it all, I realized I had lied to myself and everyone else for quite a while about who I was, what I wanted, and what I could tolerate.


“We thought that love was forever.”  Now these words are ones that are haunting for me, though they are encompassed in a cute song.


“It all comes down to me and you,” was a sentence I would speak to my (ex)wife while we tried to recover from the turmoil and tumult of our relationship.  It was my way of speaking a commitment that I was growing weary of, but somehow believed in nonetheless.


I filled the song with hope for a new day.  A better day. A day where the answer really would be “Yes!  I will be yours tonight.”


That day, sadly, never fully materialized the way I hoped for.


My only hope now, for my current marriage and for anyone reading this, is that, though sometimes love just ain’t enough, sometimes it is what we have, and we cling to the one we commit ourselves to and give ourselves fully to each other, accepting each other.  It is what the human condition cries out for - love and acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment