Friday, June 19, 2020

Walk Upon The Water - About The Songs, Breaking Glasses, #3 - The Lyrics, Part Two



Walk Upon The Water - About The Songs


Breaking Glasses

#3 - The Lyrics, Part Two


Marriages are an amalgam of two people, their lives, their cultures and backgrounds, their desires and dreams, their likes and dislikes.  It has always been and will always be that way.


In the case of my ex-wife and I, our marriage tended towards blending more in with her family than with mine.  She was uncomfortable with certain aspects of the Bishop family; they didn’t DO life the way she grew up, my father was a joker and liked to keep things lighthearted.  It got harder and worse as the years went.


As the point of the song shows, I had begun the process of conforming to her way of thinking and seeing myself in order to keep peace in our relationship.  It wasn’t the right decision.


I have a great family.  They are loving, loyal, fun, peaceful, serious when necessary, and respectful of each other living the life they choose.  


Anyone who meets my mother knows a beautiful smile immediately, with a heart that backs it up perfectly!  And my dad knew no stranger, but didn’t take any bull.  


Oh yeah, my dad loved to joke around with you and poke fun.  It might get too much on occasion, but if he liked you, it was his way of saying so.


She didn’t care for that. 


So, I was not supposed to be anything like my dad…


But, I am my father’s son. 


He is my father, and I love him and miss him every day.


It took me too many years to say it.  I did it at the end of Breaking Glasses as my way of honoring him, and me.


“I’m so tired of breaking glasses.  The mirror shows one face. This one’s me.  You helped define which one the mask is. I had to choose one.  This one surpasses. I am my father’s son.”

No comments:

Post a Comment