Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Walk Upon The Water - About The Songs, Will You Still Be Mine Tonight, #2 - The Music, Part Two



Walk Upon The Water - About The Songs


Will You Still Be Mine Tonight

#2 - The Music, Part Two


With a new tenor ukulele in hand, some newfound information and desire to use the instrument, I began playing it on a regular basis. And I mean regular!  That thing is easy to take around the house, outside, anywhere!  


And, as normal, I began to play the uke like me, putting combinations of chords and strumming together in my way, especially since I was new to it.  I came up with the chords that you hear during the opening of the song, and began to whistle. Yes, whistle! It was such a happy little ditty!


I quickly realized that I needed to get this idea down and fast.


I went to my studio, turned on my Mac and opened up a new file in MOTU Digital Performer, the sequencing and recording software that I use, and laid down the basic tracks you hear in the recording.


The rest of the song took shape over several weeks, really. I wanted to stretch a bit and work the song to include some different turns.  During the turn around to the lead, I wrote a simple bridge section to include a cool synth line ending with a little motif I had begun playing on the uke.  


All things considered, though I didn’t play uke throughout the piece as the main instrument, it was THE main instrumental influence.


Probably my favorite part of the song, though, is the bass line.


I really wanted to give a nod to one of my personal heroes, Paul McCartney, and write a moving, melodic bass line to go with the lightheartedness of the song.  I worked for quite a while until I arrived at the bass part you hear in the song. Maybe I achieved what I set out to do, and maybe I didn’t. I just hope Sir Paul would approve!

No comments:

Post a Comment