Friday, July 10, 2020

Walk Upon The Water - About The Songs, You Save Me, #5 - The Acoustic Single Version



Walk Upon The Water - About The Songs


You Save Me

#5 - The Acoustic Single Version

I really loved the version of You Save Me that I recorded. It felt... right.

Upon playing my tracks for my friend, Jeremy, I waited to get a response. Just what would he think. I value input, and want to tweak if something is "wrong" or "missing'.

Jeremy replied with a suggestion that I hadn't considered, "You need to do a full acoustic version, no big arrangement and big guitars. Just stripped down acoustic and intimate. And you need to release the acoustic version as a single, not as an album cut."

Again, I REALLY liked the version I had recorded, so it took me by surprise.

I decided to copy the entire recording session, strip away the big drums, electric guitars and electric guitar solo. I kept the acoustic performance, strings and percussion, and built from there. Since I liked the electric guitar solo I had come up with, I replayed it all on acoustic, and kept the same "vibe" as the original.

One piece I really liked from the original version was the end. I had created a multiple acoustic lead counterpoint ending that was fun, and reminiscent of the song 50 Years that I had written for my parents 50th anniversary. Sadly, the idea of creating an acoustic single would mean I would have to edit out time, and I sacrificed that section. It remains on the album version, although there are times I think the album version should be acoustic with the elongated ending, and the single should be big and edited.

Oh, well. The things we do for our art...

No comments:

Post a Comment