Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Walk Upon The Water - About The Songs, Control Me, #1 - The Music



Walk Upon The Water - About The Songs


Control Me

#1 - The Music

Drivers everywhere are guilty of one of a few things:
1 - singing at the top of their lungs to the radio and looking like idiots to everyone outside
2 - tapping drum lines on the steering wheel, dashboard, center console and/or driver side door
3 - humming/singing bass lines or other melodic musical lines from a song.


As a driver, I am often guilty of all of these, simultaneously.


More often than not, it is no song that anyone outside of the car would recognize.  I am writing it as I do it.


That is how Control Me began.


I had dropped off my girlfriend (who is now my wife), Kerrie, at work for the evening, and had decided to stay around the area to pick her up in only a few hours.  I was in a part of town where I could hear loud music emanating from other cars so loud, it invaded my vehicle. Not really wanting to hear that music, or more appropriately said, roar coming into my ears, I started singing.


And tapping..


Anything to create a different song in my head.


And that’s what it was.  A different song completely.


I had begun to tap the tempo and started to sing the bass line to Control Me.  After a couple passes through, it made sense to me that there was a melody that fit, so I added the melody, but still no words.


Then came the words.  How they came into my mind is for the next installment.  Suffice it to say, when they came, they came on strong and I started to sing at the top of my lungs, and I must have looked like an idiot to anyone who cared to look into my car.


Yes, indeed.  I was doing all 3 things simultaneously, and it would not be the first time, either!

No comments:

Post a Comment